Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Tattoo Apprenticeship : Sketches II

It might not be a bad idea to provide a little background as to how I found myself at Guru Tattoo with Cooper. It was definitely one of those serendipitous moments that make you wonder if something or somebody, somewhere out there, might be watching out for those of us that appreciate the power of a strong thought or wish... if you will...

Coop and I happened to cross paths for the first time at San Diego Comic Con International back in the summer of 2011. We struck up a quick conversation about art and tattoos, to which I had the audacity to ask if he'd ever be interested in teaching anyone his craft... (but more specifically me).

Cooper was nice enough to indulge my idea and gave me his contact information in order to get in touch with him later at Guru. Eventually I mustered up the courage to follow through with the idea of contacting him for an apprenticeship, and in November of that same year Cooper decided to put the wheels in motion for me to attain the more serious and official position of his tattoo apprentice.

Between the end of November 2011 and the beginning of April 2012, Cooper allowed me drop-in a few times a week and help around his area of the shop -to see if I had what it took to assist him in a place like Guru Tattoo. He also went to great lengths to make sure everyone else in the shop felt comfortable with the idea of another apprentice entering the mix.

If I've learned anything about Cooper thus far,
it's that he's quite the thorough fellow-
at the very least...

 



Thanks for checking in
and take care until next time!

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment