Thursday, March 8, 2012

Tim Shelton : Everything Went Black : Work in Progress I

Back in early January I was approached by Tim Shelton to produce a piece for his "Everything Went Black" show- a visual tribute to the band, Black Flag. I was pretty honored considering the list of artists that were already signed up to appear, but I was a little confused as to how Tim found me and why he decided to add me to his show- everyone in the line-up is an accomplished tattoo artist. Either way, I'm more than happy to be a part of this event and I hope that my artwork is up to par. The tribute show will be hung at The Pretty Pretty Collective, a salon and event space located in San Francisco's Mission District- I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it up there for the weekend, but who knows, maybe a stroke of good luck will smile on me.
The piece I've been working on has taken a completely new direction than what I'm used to producing for a show. This time around, I've decided to go back to my roots of meticulously piecing together an image from random sketches I typically keep stowed away for personal reference or creative development. For the past three years, all of my work has been created on the fly without any predispositions as to how the image will eventually finalize. For years this assemblage process of creating was more of a perfectionist burden than an artistic blessing, and I almost always never finished anything because I was too busy reworking an image or building it into something so grand I couldn't take the first steps to realizing the outcome. I hope that in the past few years I've matured enough to take another stab at this method.

Here are the photos of my first sketch for the Black Flag tribute piece.





Thanks for checking in
I will post the progress of this piece as soon as it develops!

Take care until then...


No comments:

Post a Comment