Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Piñata Demon Series I

Hello hello hello, lovely lovelies... We're taking a bit of a break from the "Tattoo Apprenticeship : Sketches" blog post series, to bring you a little sneak peak-a-roo at a small project that has somehow evolved amidst the hustle and bustle of my life right now. 

So, yeah... 

In between finishing the design and layout for my first art book, conventions, deadlines for shows, and assignments from the tattoo apprenticeship- I'm not exactly sure how this all came about, but I'm not complaining... just going with the flow at this point and allowing this "Piñata Demon" project to take on a life of its own.

The drawings that inspired this playfully, demonic detour originated in my tattoo apprenticeship sketchbook as potential flash illustrations. I never thought I would actually take the images and render them with ballpoint pen, but a tight deadline during San Diego Comic Con 2012 forced me into a creative corner, so I decided to take one of the first sketches from this series and finish it for the "San Diego vs. Portland vs. Tokyo Showdown". To my surprise, the image was well received, better than I had expected, and it gave me a little fuel to eventually realize the entire series- if time permitted...

After Comic Con, I was invited to create a piece for Full Circle Tattoo's "Buddhism" show. Once again, I had a tight deadline and the idea of completing another piece from the "Piñata Demon" series seemed pretty enticing if I could find a clever way to play off the religious/philosophical theme. When the second image was complete I was more determined than ever to finish the entire series and figure out if there was a story behind this strange set of characters.

So far we have three pieces finished from the series- the third of which will be presented in part two of the "Piñata Demon Series" posts, coming at you in a couple of weeks!




I can't wait to bring you more finished pieces... xoxo!



Thanks for checking in-
and take care until next time...

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment